Warehouse assistant gets six weeks for molesting woman

Mohamed Fahmy Latib was sentenced to six weeks' jail for molesting his colleague.
Mohamed Fahmy Latib was sentenced to six weeks' jail for molesting his colleague. ST GRAPHICS

SINGAPORE - A warehouse assistant who molested a colleague at a multi-storey carpark was sentenced to six weeks' jail on Tuesday (April 4).

Mohamed Fahmy Latib, 25, admitted to kissing the 21-year-old on her lips and rubbing her stomach and waist at the top floor of the multi-storey carpark at Block 94A Bedok North Avenue 4 on May 19, 2015.

Investigation showed that Fahmy, who was attracted to the victim, had introduced himself as her new colleague earlier in the day.

When the victim finished work at about 9pm that day, Fahmy boarded the same bus as the victim and persuaded her to take an alternative route home.

Although she was reluctant, she agreed.

When they alighted near the Red Swastika School along Bedok North Avenue 3, he said he wanted to buy cigarettes and told her to accompany him. He said he would then walk her to a bus stop near her home.

But when they were closer to her home, he insisted she hang out with him. As it was about 11pm, she refused and said she wanted to go home.

He grabbed hold of her wrist and made her follow him to the top floor of the multi-storey carpark. She resisted and tried to shout for help but he made her sit next to him.

She again told him she wanted to go home, saying she had a curfew. He refused to let her go and threatened to chase after her if she tried to run away.

He then made her sit facing him on his lap and molested her. She struggled and tried to call for help but he prevented her from doing so, and even covered her mouth in panic.

She struggled violently and eventually managed to break free. He made her swear she would not tell anyone about the incident, before allowing her to return home.

But she told her sister and made a police report the next day.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Eunice Lau called for at least six weeks' jail to be imposed as, among other aggravating factors, there was a degree of compulsion in getting the victim to follow Fahmy to the multi-storey carpark.

Fahmy's lawyer Mark Lee said in mitigation that his client was truly remorseful for his wrongdoing, and that he should not be sentenced to anything more than four weeks.

District Judge Lim Keng Yeow felt the prosecution's submission on sentence was "entirely appropriate". He allowed Fahmy to settle some work-related issues before starting his six-week sentence on April 11.

Fahmy could have been jailed for up to two years, fined, caned or received any combined punishment for outrage of modesty.