Unemployed man jailed for assaulting ex-girlfriend and sending lewd photos of her

The man pleaded guilty to causing hurt and committing criminal intimidation.
The man pleaded guilty to causing hurt and committing criminal intimidation. ST GRAPHIC

SINGAPORE - A 32-year-old unemployed man was jailed for seven months on Friday (June 2) after assaulting his then-girlfriend and sending lewd photographers of the woman to her older sister.

The man, who cannot named due to a gag order to protect the victim's identity, pleaded guilty to causing hurt and committing criminal intimidation. The couple have since split up.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Nicholas Lai said the self employed woman, aged 31, had gone to the man's home to talk through their relationship issues at around 5.30pm on Feb 5.

The couple had a heated argument when he accused her of meeting other men and snatched her mobile phone to check its contents.

However, he could not find anything in it to suggest that she was having an affair.

DPP Lai said: "In a fit of anger, the accused threw the mobile phone towards the victim's face. (He) continued his assault towards the victim by punching her four to five times repeatedly on her left eye area. During the dispute, the accused also spat on the victim's face."

He did not return her the phone after the assault. He also locked the front door of his home and prevented her from leaving.

The woman, who was in pain, pleaded with him to take her to hospital.

He finally relented and they went to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital where she was found to be suffering from injuries including bruises on her left knee and left eyebrow.

Out of fear, she did not tell the doctor how she got injured as the man was waiting just outside the examination room. She was later given eight days of medical leave.

He refused to allow her to return home after they left hospital at around 10pm and they stayed at the void deck of his block until the next day.

She managed to slip away when he returned to his flat to use the toilet.

At around 8.30am on Feb 6, the man, who still had her phone in his possession, used her Facebook Messenger account to send threatening messages to her 33-year-old sister.

He also sent the sister three lewd photographs of his then-girlfriend which he had taken during their relationship.

He sent messages too suggesting that he would harm his then-girlfriend and her family's reputation.

DPP Lai said the man also threatened to go to their home and show them his "crazy side".

The victim made a police report that evening and officers later arrested him at his home.

For causing hurt, the man could have been jailed up to two years and fined up to $5,000.