SINGAPORE - Two Judicial Commissioners and five Senior Judges will be appointed to the Supreme Court Bench and 11 International Judges will be appointed to the Singapore International Commercial Court by the President on Monday.
The swearing-in ceremony for the Senior Judges and International Judges will be held at the Istana on Monday, while the Judicial Commissioners will be sworn in at a date or dates to be determined later, the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement on Monday.
Mr Chua Lee Ming and Mr Foo Chee Hock will be appointed as Judicial Commissioners of the Supreme Court. Mr Chua will be appointed with effect from Feb 1, 2015 for a term of two years. Mr Foo, the current Registrar of the Supreme Court, will be appointed as a Judicial Commissioner on or before April 1, 2015 for a term of three years. Mr Foo will also concurrently oversee the development of the Singapore Judicial College under the auspices of the Supreme Court.
Five former Judges of the Supreme Court will be appointed as Senior Judges of the Supreme Court for a period of three years with effect from Jan 5, 2015, where they will hear and determine such matters as the Chief Justice may specify.
The newly-appointed Senior Judges are: Mr Chan Sek Keong, Mr Kan Ting Chiu, Mr Andrew Ang, Mr Tan Lee Meng and Ms Lai Siu Chiu.
Mr Chan Sek Keong will sit as a Judge of Appeal and as a Judge of the Singapore International Commercial Court.
Eleven individuals will be appointed as International Judges of the Singapore International Commercial Court for a period of three years with effect from Jan 5, 2015, where they will hear transnational commercial cases. The 11 newly-appointed International Judges are:
- The Honourable Ms Carolyn Berger (United States of America)
- The Honourable Justice Patricia Bergin (Australia)
- The Honourable Mr Roger Giles (Australia)
- The Honourable Dr Irmgard Griss (Austria)
- The Honourable Justice Dominique T. Hascher (France)
- The Honourable Mr Dyson Heydon AC QC (Australia)
- The Honourable Sir Vivian Ramsey (United Kingdom)
- Mr Anselmo Reyes (Hong Kong)
- The Right Honourable Sir Bernard Rix (United Kingdom)
- Professor Yasuhei Taniguchi (Japan)
- Mr Simon Thorley QC (United Kingdom)
With these appointments, the Supreme Court will have a total of 14 Judges (including the Chief Justice), nine Judicial Commissioners, five Senior Judges and 11 International Judges.