Rape victim's dad recorded conversations with suspect

He tells court how he tried to find out what happened to daughter in suspect's home

A 57-year-old father of three, whose only daughter was found unconscious in a man's home wearing his clothes, yesterday recounted how he tried to find out what happened to her.

He used his mobile phone to record two conversations with the man, Ong Soon Heng, 37, which he later submitted to the police.

In the first, hours after his daughter was found, Ong said nothing had happened between him and the 22-year-old undergraduate.

But in the second, two days later, Ong admitted he had sex with her but claimed it was consensual.

Testifying on Day 2 of Ong's trial yesterday, the father broke down as he told the court he had to tell the news to his family, including his daughter, that she had been raped.

"She was totally stunned because she could not remember anything," he said. He recounted how the family members cried. "Do you know how much hurt you created for all of us?" he said angrily as he looked at Ong, who was in the dock.

Ong, who also goes by the name Osh, is on trial for one charge each of rape and abduction.

He knew the alleged victim - she was an intern at a food and beverage company and he was a good friend of her employer.

The prosecution's case is that after he plied the woman with drinks while they were clubbing on July 24, 2014, Ong carried her into the back seat of his car at about 4am, and drove her to his house in Hume Heights.

Her boyfriend found her at about 6.30am after he tracked her to Ong's house using the Find My iPhone app.

The father told the court that when the boyfriend took her home, she had to be supported. The first thing she said was: "Where am I?"

Suspecting she had been drugged, he told his wife to take her to KK Women's and Children's Hospital for a blood test.

Together with his older son and the boyfriend, he went to Ong's house. Ong denied any wrongdoing. He said she drank "Martell, champagne and vodka".

He changed her clothes since she had thrown up. He said he treated her as a good friend and little sister.

At the hospital, doctors advised the family to make a police report.

Back at home, the father contacted his daughter's employer who told him Ong was a "playboy".

The father said he told the employer to tell Ong to see him.

Two days later, Ong texted him. During their conversation, Ong claimed it was the daughter who suggested going to his place.

In court yesterday, the father accused Ong of lying to save his skin.

In contrast, he praised the boyfriend, who had searched for her for hours, for being a "gentleman" and for saying he would remain with her.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 01, 2017, with the headline 'Rape victim's dad recorded conversations with suspect'. Print Edition | Subscribe