Partygoer jailed for causing ruckus, insulting police

Sebastian Siua Yun Sian was sentenced to five weeks' jail on Jan 25, 2018. ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

SINGAPORE - A drunken partygoer shouted obscenities, threw food around and assaulted relatives of a woman celebrating her 21st birthday - then verbally abused police who turned up to arrest him.

Jobless Sebastian Siua Yun Sian, 26, was sentenced to five weeks' jail on Thursday (Jan 25) after pleading guilty to one count each of committing a rash act, using criminal force on a policeman and verbally abusing a second officer.

Two assault charges and one count each of using criminal force on the birthday girl's brother and a second charge of verbally abusing a policeman were taken into consideration during sentencing.

Siua had gone to a Figaro Street house near Jalan Ulu Siglap to attend the party between 8pm and 9pm on Sept 30, 2016. The host, who was celebrating her 21st birthday, noticed that he was slightly intoxicated.

As the night progressed, Siua consumed more alcohol and kept on asking her to drink red wine.

He later became agitated and shouted profanities before hurling food and drinks onto the floor. Court papers did not mention what triggered him to behave in such a manner.

Alarmed, the host's mother called her husband and son for help and they turned up at around midnight.

Siua refused to budge when asked to leave and the police were called when he became increasingly agitated.

While waiting for a police to arrive, he picked up a glass bottle and hurled it at the host's father. It missed its target and did not shatter, the court heard.

Police officers including Sergeant Muhammad Luqman Hakim Azman, 23 and Sergeant Ho Chuan San, 24, arrived at the house minutes later and met Siua at the porch.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Houston Johannus said: "At about 12.33am, Sgt Ho advised the accused to calm down. The accused chose not to cooperate... and instead used his left palm to push Sgt Ho once on his left shoulder. The accused then tried to re-enter the living room but was subsequently arrested."

A video clip of the incident was played in court on Thursday and it showed Siua yelling obscenities at the officers, challenging them to hit him.

His tirade did not stop even while he was in their police car. Instead, he verbally abused Sgt Luqman with vulgarities and religiously-charged insults.

"These words were especially insulting to Sgt Luqman as he is a Muslim," said DPP Johannus who urged District Judge Brenda Tan to jail Siua for at least six weeks.

Defence lawyer Teo Choo Kee pleaded for his client to be given a fine of up to $10,000 or be jailed for up to three weeks. He told the court that Siua had behaved "totally out of character".

Siua is now out on bail and must surrender himself at the State Courts on Feb 1 to begin his sentence.

For committing the rash act, he could have been jailed for up to six months and fined up to $2,500.

And for using insulting words to a police officer, he could have been jailed for up to a year and fined up to $5,000.

Join ST's WhatsApp Channel and get the latest news and must-reads.