One jailed and another fined for assault on man in pub

Freddy Lee Mun Soon was jailed 20 weeks while Ong Chee Heng was fined $4,000, both for punching a 43-year-old man at a pub in Upper Thomson Road last year. PHOTO: ST FILE

SINGAPORE - A businessman who caused permanent damage to a shipping officer's eye was jailed for 20 weeks on Wednesday (Nov 9) while his friend was fined $4,000 for punching the same victim on his face.

Freddy Lee Mun Soon, 31, was jailed for punching Mr Song Chee Kiong on his right eye while Ong Chee Heng, also a 31-year-old businessman, was fined for punching the 43-year-old on his face at Talk Cock Sing Song Pub at Upper Thomson Road at about 1.20am on Sept 2, 2015. Both pleaded guilty in October.

The court heard that Mr Song was drinking with his group of friends when he saw Lee getting into a dispute with one of his friends, and suggested that Lee go to the smoking room of the pub.

At the smoking room, Lee punched Mr Song on the face, and a number of punches hit his right eye. Mr Song fell and Lee continued to rain punches on his face.

When Mr Song managed to get up, Lee threw another punch which caused the victim to fall on the ground again. Mr Song's wife pushed Lee away and fell in the process.

Mr Song finally stood up and was ushered out by a patron.

But he returned to the smoking room to help his wife who had fallen during the scuffle with Lee.

Lee entered the smoking room again, with Ong. Lee then punched the victim on his face again, causing him to fall onto the floor.

When the victim tried to stand up, Lee punched him on the back of his head, causing him to fall again. Lee punched the victim's back a number of times. Ong also punched the victim a few times on his face. The assault stopped after patrons of the pub intervened.

Mr Song was found to have suffered permanent damage to the retina. He needs one more surgery for removal of silicone oil in the eye and to put in an artificial lens. There is a possibility of the eye shrinking and possible blindness in the injured eye.

The duo's lawyer Selva K. Naidu said his clients regret having committed the offence. He said Ong, who has two young children, was then working in the pub as a manager.

District Judge Adam Nakhoda said Lee's culpability was far higher, and that he was largely responsible for the injury suffered by the victim.

He noted the savagery of the attack and the sustained nature of the entirely unprovoked assault.

The maximum penalty for causing hurt is two years' jail and a $5,000 fine.

Join ST's WhatsApp Channel and get the latest news and must-reads.