Nigerian faces charges for offences involving over $1m

Paul Gabriel Amos also allegedly drove a Lamborghini in a dangerous manner along East Coast Parkway on Oct 2, 2016.
Paul Gabriel Amos also allegedly drove a Lamborghini in a dangerous manner along East Coast Parkway on Oct 2, 2016.PHOTO: PAUL GABRIEL AMOS/FACEBOOK

A Nigerian businessman was charged in court yesterday over the receipt of stolen property and money laundering. These cases involved more than $1 million.

Singapore permanent resident Paul Gabriel Amos, now 46, is accused of committing these offences in October and November 2008.

He faces one charge of dishonestly receiving stolen property and eight counts of dealing with monies which were said to be benefits of criminal conduct. Court documents did not reveal details about these purported criminal activities.

On Oct 15, 2008, Amos allegedly instructed a man known only as Mohammad Sohail to transfer $987,526.40 into an OCBC bank account. The money was said to be the benefits of the criminal conduct of one Robert Umohette.

Amos also purportedly received stolen property - $426,995.55 in cash - which was deposited into a DBS bank account six days later.

He is accused of transferring $300,000 of this stolen money into his Citibank Maxisave account.

He allegedly used $373,528 of the stolen money for his business and personal expenses, including a deposit on a BMW car.

Amos also has pending traffic charges. He allegedly drove a Lamborghini in a dangerous manner along East Coast Parkway near the Siglap Road exit at around 12.30am on Oct 2 last year.

He allegedly zoomed through a narrow gap between two vehicles and caused alarm to another motorist, Ms Heng Xiu Hui, 22, who was approaching his car on his right.

According to court documents, he was allegedly not insured and did not possess a valid driving licence that morning. Amos was offered bail of $150,000 and he will be back in court on Nov 22.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 26, 2017, with the headline 'Nigerian faces charges for offences involving over $1m'. Print Edition | Subscribe