Mum found dead after allegedly slashing boy

12-year-old in intensive care at NUH; woman believed to have taken her life

The 45-year-old woman was found at the foot of Block 49 at Springdale Condominium on Saturday morning.
The 45-year-old woman was found at the foot of Block 49 at Springdale Condominium on Saturday morning.PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO

A 12-year-old boy who was allegedly slashed by his mother, who was later found dead, is still in intensive care at the National University Hospital (NUH) and missed her cremation yesterday morning.

Seven relatives turned up at Mandai Crematorium to bid farewell to the 45-year-old woman, who was believed to have injured her son before taking her own life on Saturday morning.

She was found dead at the bottom of an apartment block in Bukit Timah, where they lived.

Her husband apparently did not witness the cremation, reported Chinese evening daily Shin Min Daily News.

Police said they were informed that a woman was found lying motionless at the foot of Block 49 in Springdale Condominium in Hindhede Walk on Saturday morning. The body was found among some bushes.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force was alerted at about 7am and the woman was pronounced dead by paramedics when they arrived, said its spokesman.

When the incident happened, only her husband, son and maid were in their apartment, reported Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao. A source who knows the family told Wanbao that the dead woman's husband was woken up by his son, who told him someone wanted to take his life. This was about two hours before the woman's body was found.

The father thought that he was dreaming until he saw the wounds on his son. He did not know then where his wife was.

Police said they were informed of the incident at about 5am. The boy was conscious and his father accompanied the boy to the hospital in an ambulance.

The boy is reported to have been slashed six times, with one gash cutting close to his heart. He is said to have suffered injuries on his back, chest and one arm.

Police said investigations are ongoing.

Lianhe Wanbao reported that the woman apparently suffered from many health problems and was often accompanied to a clinic by her maid.

The report also said that the couple were married in 1994 but had relationship problems over the past five years and rarely spoke to each other.