SINGAPORE - There has been a rise in outrage of modesty cases this year, the police said in a press release on Sunday (Oct 22).
There were 1,168 cases reported between January and September - an increase of 194 cases, or 19.9 per cent - compared to the same period last year.
Of the cases, 152 were committed on public transport, while 76 were committed at public entertainment outlets.
Public transport cases jumped 49 per cent, while entertainment outlet cases saw an increase of 24.6 per cent from the same period last year.
The police said eight men aged between 25 and 68 will be charged this week for separate cases committed between January and July.
Anyone found guilty of outrage of modesty can be jailed up to two years, fined, caned, or any combination of these punishments.
To prevent cases happening in public transport areas, crime prevention information is disseminated to commuters, while officers from the Public Transport Security Command conduct patrols to project police presence.
In public entertainment outlets, the police work with operators on additional security measures like installing CCTVs, while operators are to prevent overcrowding and ensure sufficient lighting.
Molest victims should get help from those around them, and call 999 immediately to increase the chance of catching the suspect.
"Take note of the prominent features and attire of the suspect as well as the direction in which he or she went," the police press release added.
"If it is safe to do so, the victim or other witnesses of the crime may assist to detain the suspect while waiting for the police to arrive."
Correction note: The story has been updated to reflect the correct age range of the eight men who will be charged this week.