Man who went on drunken rampage in hotel jailed for 4 weeks, fined $1,600

SINGAPORE - A man who went on a drunken rampage in April in a hotel - where he assaulted a hotel staff member, damaged a glass display stand and abused police officers - was sentenced to jail and a fine on Tuesday (Oct 24).

New Zealand national Davis Brian Uerata, 44, who is from the construction industry and works in Thailand, pleaded guilty to six of 15 charges on Tuesday and was sentenced to four weeks' jail and fined $1,600, or eight days' jail in default.

Uerata had been staying at the Peninsula Excelsior Hotel in Coleman Street when he approached front desk supervisor Melvin Mahendiran just before 4am on April 28 to ask for his room key.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Huang Jiahui said that Mr Mahendiran followed normal procedure and asked for his name and room number. But Uerata became agitated and started hurling profanities at Mr Mahendiran, who contacted duty manager Herry Wan Zhee Kuang, saying that there was a drunk man at the front desk.

Mr Wan immediately went over and observed that Uerata was highly intoxicated. Mr Wan tried to talk to Uerata who scolded him in return. He then alerted a security officer to call the police. On hearing that, Uerata became even more agitated and aggressive.

The hotel's closed-circuit television camera showed Uerata jump over the front desk counter and lunge towards Mr Wan. He then grabbed him by the neck and pushed him to the floor.

When Mr Mahendiran and security officers tried to pull him back, Uerata overpowered them and punched Mr Wan several times in the face, causing him to bleed.

As Mr Mahendiran tried to restrain Uerata from attacking the victim further, Uerata pushed him on the chest, causing him to fall and hit the front desk counter.

Uerata also punched a glass display stand, valued at $350, causing it to fall to the ground and break.

CCTV footage further showed Uerata pushing and punching the victim at the lobby lounge. The victim suffered a contusion and was given five days' medical leave.

DPP Huang said that when the police arrived, Uerata assumed a boxing stance and uttered abusive words at the officers. Uerata refused to answer questions and asked the police to arrest him while crossing his hands to imitate being handcuffed.

Uerata continued to behave belligerently and officers tasered him before placing him under arrest for disorderly behaviour.

His blood sample was found to to contain 92mg ethanol per 100ml of blood, 12mg more than the legal limit for drink driving.

District Judge John Ng backdated Uerata's sentence to Oct 12. Mr Amarjit Singh represented Uerata.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.