Man back in court for alleged match-fixing and conspiracy to cheat Singapore Pools

Selvarajan Letchuman. PHOTO: ST FILE

SINGAPORE - A man was back in court on Friday to face eight charges of match-fixing and conspiracy to cheat the Singapore Pools, two years after he was given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal after his two alleged accomplices absconded.

Former project manager Selvarajan Letchuman, 51, now behind bars for a separate offence over a fraudulent property claim, is due to be released next month.

On Friday, the court heard that Selvarajan had allegedly given RM500 to Malaysian part-time referee Shokri Nor and offered RM15,000 to the referee to fix the outcome of a Malaysian Super League game between LionsXII and Sarawak in May 2012.

Shokri was supposed to be the referee that night but was replaced at the last minute before the match started as he had been picked up for questioning by the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau.

The match ended in 3-0 in favour of LionsXII.

Selvarajan, Shokri and former Malaysian international footballer Thana Segar S. Sinnaiah, 40, were charged in 2012 for trying to fix the match. Selvarajan was later granted the discharge after the two Malaysians absconded.

Thana Segar has since been arrested and his case is due for another pre-trial conference later this month.

Selvarajan is accused of conspiring with Thana Segar and Shokri to cheat the Singapore Pools into giving him payouts of between $85 and $10,500 on each of the six times he placed bets on the May 22 match between LionsXII and Sarawak FA.If the scam had not been discovered, he would have received a total of $20,625 in winnings.

This is the first case where the prosecution had gone to charge an offender for monetising the fix.

Selvarajan, who was dressed in prison garb, said he wished to seek legal advice first before deciding his course of action.

The case will be mentioned on Oct 17.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.