Man, 50, arrested for murder of 44-year-old woman in Loyang condominium

Police officers carrying the body of the woman down the stairs at Loyang Gardens condominium.
Police officers carrying the body of the woman down the stairs at Loyang Gardens condominium. PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO

SINGAPORE - A 50-year-old man has been arrested for the murder of a 44-year-old woman at a condominium in Loyang early on Friday (Oct 27).

The suspect, who is believed to be the victim's husband, was nabbed at Woodlands Checkpoint after surrendering himself to police on the same morning. 

He had entered Malaysia via the Causeway before returning to Singapore. 

The Straits Times understands that the man is Krishnan Raju, while the victim has been identified as Raithena Vaithena Samy. 

In response to queries, a police spokesman said they received a call for assistance at Loyang Gardens at 12.12am.

The victim was found lying motionless and subsequently pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Blood stain seen on the door frame of the condominium unit. ST PHOTO: TAN TAM MEI 

ST understands that she was found in the bedroom of a unit. The nature of her injuries were not clear.

Police have classified the case as murder and investigations are ongoing.

A neighbour who lives two blocks away and wanted to be known only as Mr Heng, 31, told ST that he saw police cars outside the condo around 4am when he returned home on Friday.

He said he frequently hears quarrelling coming from the block where the affected unit is, and noticed it about two years ago.

"I can tell it's a couple quarrelling in English, but I don't know what they fight about," he said. "Usually I can hear the woman shouting at the man and it happens every morning and night."

Police officers outside Loyang Gardens condominium. PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO

Other neighbours ST spoke to said they did not know the couple well, but had seen them around with teenage children.

A 46-year-old housewife who declined to be named said: "I've seen them at the pool a few times, but I don't know them personally."

She had seen a police van parked outside the condo around 7am while she was leaving to take her daughter to work.

Another neighbour who declined to be named said she saw the couple at the carpark occasionally.

She had returned home at around midnight when she saw the commotion.

"I saw policemen, and some people crying by the side of the road, but I'm not sure if they're family members," she said.