Duo plead guilty to fatal attack over a hat

The clubbers punched and kicked Frenchman for throwing fallen hat in their direction

What started as a dispute involving a hat escalated into a fatal attack outside Orchard Towers last year.

Quality check inspector Muhammad Daniel Abdul Jalil and Radin Abdullah Syaafii Radin Badruddin ganged up against Frenchman Navarro Dorian Regis, who later died in hospital.

The two Singaporeans, both 24, assaulted the victim after he threw Daniel's hat in their direction. It had earlier fallen to the ground.

Daniel and Radin, who is self-employed, pleaded guilty in court yesterday to causing grievous hurt to Mr Regis, 34, at around 6am on April 1 last year. They had earlier been charged with murder.

Daniel also pleaded guilty to causing grievous hurt to Mr Regis' friend and fellow Frenchman, Mr Pierre-Eric Jules Jean Goudal, 29.

On the day of the incident, Daniel and Radin had gone clubbing at Orchard Towers with Mr Huzaifah Abdul Aziz, 23, Mr Muhammad Farhan Othman, 23, and Mr Muhammad Fadli Kamis, 24.

At around 5.30am, Mr Huzaifah and Mr Fadli left the club and went to the first floor of the shopping centre.

About 30 minutes later, Daniel confronted them as he was upset that they had left him behind. Radin and Mr Farhan had also followed him out of the club.

During the exchange, a dispute broke out between Daniel and Mr Huzaifah and the two pushed each other.

Daniel's hat was swiped off in the scuffle. It landed near Mr Regis' feet, and the Frenchman picked it up and threw it back towards Daniel's group.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Quek Jing Feng said: "The victim's act angered Radin, who felt that the victim was mocking them. Radin went forward to confront the victim and his friends."

Mr Goudal apologised to Radin, but Radin was still unhappy and insisted that Mr Regis do likewise.

Daniel then joined in and confronted Mr Regis, who was standing outside Orchard Towers.

He punched Mr Regis' head from behind and delivered a flying kick at his stomach.

Radin then joined in and the pair kicked Mr Regis' body and face when he fell onto the ground.

Mr Goudal tried to help his friend, but ended up with a fractured nasal bone when Daniel punched his face.

The five Singaporeans then fled.

Mr Regis was taken to the Singapore General Hospital and died on May 16 last year of a traumatic head injury, with pneumonia as a contributory cause.

Daniel and Radin will be sentenced on Oct 19.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 05, 2017, with the headline 'Duo plead guilty to fatal attack over a hat'. Print Edition | Subscribe