Duo jailed, caned for violent gang assault

One victim's tendons severed in chopper attack outside nightclub; six took part in violence

Two men were sentenced to jail and caning yesterday for their part in an assault on two friends as they were leaving a nightclub.

Dinesh Kumar Ruvy swung a chopper at 28-year-old driver Logesvaren Subramanian, leaving him with a 10cm-deep cut and severed tendons in his forearm, which required an 11-hour operation and more than a month's hospitalisation leave.

The driver's friend Sashi Kumar Asogan, 29, was punched in the incident outside Checkmate Club at the Rendezvous Hotel, Bras Basah Road, in the early hours of March 21 last year.

Dinesh, 25, unemployed, was sentenced to 41/2 years in jail and six strokes of the cane, after admitting to a single charge of rioting while armed with a deadly weapon.

His co-accused Jai Ganesh Tanapolan, also 25, was given five years and six strokes of the cane, after pleading guilty to rioting and separate charges relating to a gang fight and stabbing. Two other charges were also considered.

The duo had been part of a six-member unlawful assembly; the other four have already been dealt with.

Investigations showed that Mr Subramanian, his wife and self-employed driver Asogan joined friends at a party at Checkmate Club some time after midnight that day .

At about 2am, Mr Subramanian and his friends were smokingoutside when his friend Senthil told them he had been punched. Two men in Dinesh's group then confronted Mr Senthil, before a bouncer clarified that he had been hit accidentally.

Thinking the matter had been settled, Mr Subramanian and his friends returned to the club and continued partying. They left at about 3.40am. He was about to get into a taxi when the group of six attacked him and Mr Asogan, whose friends had left in a taxi.

During the assault, Dinesh retrieved a chopper tucked in his waistband and swung it at Mr Subramanian's left forearm.

Bleeding, he escaped towards Selegie Road, where he was found crouching at a taxi stand.

The court also heard how Jaihad been involved in a fight between rival gangs in River Valley Road, after a birthday celebration at a club at Liang Court shopping mall in October 2014.

The following month, he went to a flat in Bishan and slashed a 17-year-old's face with a knife. He was joined by two other men, who are currently serving jail terms.

District Judge Crystal Ong said Jai's propensity for violence was abundantly clear, as he had committed three rioting offences and one assault with dangerous weapon.

"A lengthy custodial sentence is warranted," she said.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on January 21, 2016, with the headline 'Duo jailed, caned for violent gang assault'. Print Edition | Subscribe