SINGAPORE - Drugs worth RM5.2 million (S$2 million) were seized in a joint operation by Malaysia and Singapore police, Malaysia's New Straits Times reported on Wednesday.
Three raids were carried out in Johor Bahru, starting from 6am on Tuesday, and two Malaysians and a Singaporean were arrested. Malaysia's Narcotics Crime Investigation Department (NCID) and Singapore's Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) were led to a container in a Malaysian port where more drugs were seized.
In total, 150kg of ketamine, 63,500 psychotropic pills, 81 litres of liquid believed to be drugs, 360 gunny sacks of soda ash and 484g of syabu were seized - believed to be the biggest seizure this year from a collaboration between the two agencies.
In a statement on Wednesday, CNB director Ng Ser Song said: "This successful joint operation is testament to the strong ties between CNB and NCID, two very close partners in the war against drug trafficking.
"Drug trafficking is a transnational crime, and drug syndicates operate with no respect for national borders. Thus, it is imperative that CNB and our regional and international partners work closely to tackle these syndicates."
According to the New Straits Times report, NCID director Datuk Seri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said the drug syndicate had been active in the international circuit for several months, but this was the first time the syndicate from Pakistan had attempted to smuggle the drugs into Malaysia through the Port of Tanjung Pelepas.