A deliveryman was charged in court yesterday over last Saturday's Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE) accident, which left two Malaysian motorcyclists dead and six others injured.
Koh Boon Ping, who was charged with two counts of causing death by a rash act, was driving a van at about 3.50pm that day when it ploughed into the motorcyclists, who were taking shelter from the rain under a BKE flyover.
His driving licence was suspended immediately.
The 24-year-old, who appeared before District Judge Olivia Low, is alleged to have caused the deaths of Mr Loke Whay Mam, 50, and Mr Lim Chun Hong, 34, by a rash act not amounting to culpable homicide.
He allegedly failed to keep a proper lookout while driving the van, hitting both Mr Loke and Mr Lim, who were on the road shoulder with their motorbikes. The two men were pronounced dead at the scene, while six other Malaysian motorcyclists were hurt.
The prosecution said it was not ready and asked that no plea be taken from Koh, who was offered $15,000 bail. His passport will be impounded, and he will be back in court on March 27.
If convicted of causing death by a rash act, he could be jailed for up to five years and/or fined on each charge.
A 1 1/2-minute clip, which was widely circulated online, showed six men lying on the road. One had been flung over the railing along the road and was on a grass patch. Two others were lying on the road, motionless and bleeding.
The injured motorcyclists were taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital.
One of them, Mr Chin Boh Fatt, 54, left on Sunday for Johor Baru where he lives, but said he will need to return for check-ups.
Contractor Lau Kam Long, 53, was in surgery for around eight hours, according to Chinese daily Shin Min Daily News, which added that he was a colleague of the two dead men.
Plumber Lau Kam Pong, also 53, is still waiting to undergo an operation, said his elder brother, who declined to be identified. The two Mr Laus are not related.
The others who were injured are Mr Mohd Zahir, 41; Mr Suriakumaran, 36, who goes by one name; and Mr Muhammad Rafie, 31.
There have been no updates on their conditions.
According to a New Straits Times report on Sunday, the bodies of Mr Loke and Mr Lim have been claimed by their family members.
• Additional reporting by Seow Bei Yi