SINGAPORE - Blogger Roy Ngerng, co-leader of a Sept 27 Hong Lim Park protest march that disrupted a YMCA charity carnival, confirmed in a Facebook post on Thursday night that he will be charged in court on Monday.
The Straits Times understands that protest organiser Han Hui Hui, 22, is also being charged along with several others.
They have been asked by the Police to turn up in the State Court in Havelock Square on Monday to answer to public nuisance charges.
Earlier on Thursday, two other people who took part in the protest march were given a conditional warning. A police spokesman said the warnings were served to "two individuals who had participated actively at the event".
"These actions are taken after careful consideration of the facts and circumstances of the case, and in consultation with the Attorney General's Chambers. The investigation outcome for the remaining individuals will be made known to them in due course," said the spokesman, when responding to queries from The Straits Times about the warnings.
It is understood that the conditional warning given to the two individuals was for an offence of public nuisance under the Penal Code.
Such a warning - given in lieu of prosecution - requires that the offender maintain a clean record for a specified period, usually 12 or 24 months. If he commits a new offence, he can be charged with the new offence as well as the previous one.
The two individuals, along with those who will be charged on Monday, in question were among several who were investigated over the Sept 27 protest.
Ms Han and Mr Ngerng led several hundred people in a march around the park, encroaching on the lawn where the charity carnival was held and frightening some children with special needs who were performing on stage. The demonstrators waved Singapore flags and also shouted chants, including "Return Our CPF" and "Vote Them Out, PAP".
On Thursday, lawyer M. Ravi, representing Ms Han, wrote to the National Parks Board (NParks) asking that the government agency approve an application to hold protest rally on Saturday at Hong Lim Park.
Ms Han originally received approval to speak and to stage a demonstration on Saturday, but was informed on Tuesday by the NParks that the approval had been cancelled.
NParks said on Thursday night, in response to The Straits Times, that it would stick to its decision despite the letter from Ms Han's lawyer.
NParks cancelled the approval on the advice of the police as Ms Han was being investigated over a the Sept 27 protest.
But Mr Ravi said in his letter on Thursday that NParks' action amounted to "a breach of (Ms Han's) rights of freedom of speech and assembly".
NParks said it did not agree with Mr Ravi, and would not change its mind about the cancellation of the approval.