Colourful balloons, toys, fashion accessories at wake of 4-year-old who died in Bukit Batok accident

Family and friends paid their last respects to four-year-old Eleanor Tan at her wake on Oct 11, 2017. ST PHOTO: TAN TAM MEI

SINGAPORE - About 50 friends and family members turned up to say their final goodbyes to four-year-old Eleanor Tan on Wednesday (Oct 11) at a wake decorated with colourful balloons and the girl's toys and fashion accessories.

The kindergarten pupil died in an accident involving a car in Bukit Batok Central on Monday (Oct 9) evening.

At the wake, Eleanor's grandmother who gave her name only as Madam Lin, 47, was seen preparing chocolates, prata, fruits and milk - a spread, she said, that was for her beloved granddaughter.

"My granddaughter loved to eat everything, she would always share what she had with her friends," she told The Straits Times.

When asked which toys and food were Eleanor's favourite, Madam Lin said: "She liked everything. That is the kind of girl she is, she enjoyed everything."

Remote video URL

The girl's grandaunt, Madam Amy Lin, who is in her 50s, said: "Eleanor was a bubbly and lovable girl who always wanted to be a princess.

"When we heard the news, we were devastated. She was so young."

Eleanor's mother Jacelyn Wong, 24, declined to speak to media at the wake but had earlier put up a post on Facebook, thanking family and friends for always doting on her daughter.

A family friend who did not want to be identified said Ms Wong was not feeling well and that the family was trying to cope with the loss.

The girl's grandfather, who gave his name only as Mr Ang, 53, told Shin Min Daily News that Eleanor was a brave girl who had gone through cataract surgery when she was three.

She was scheduled to undergo surgery for strabismus, a condition that results in crossed eyes, this Sunday, reported the Chinese paper.

At the time of the accident, Eleanor had been accompanied by her family's maid, Ms Su Su Hlaing, 37, who suffered serious injuries.

According to the family, the maid is still warded at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital with spinal injuries and multiple fractures on her right leg and pelvic region.

A 53-year-old male driver was arrested at the scene for causing death by a rash act.

Police investigations are ongoing and The Straits Times understands that he is out on station bail.

The cremation service for Eleanor will take place on Wednesday (Oct 11) evening.

Join ST's WhatsApp Channel and get the latest news and must-reads.