Yes, we know, the allure of those rich, delicious festive dishes may be too difficult to resist. Still, for those who want to keep their figures, here are the eight ways to keep the weight off during Chinese New Year.
1. Have meals at regular intervals and eat regular portions.
2. Do not substitute meals with snacks. Start off the day with a wholesome breakfast of whole grains to avoid visiting on an empty stomach. This will reduce the craving for sugar- or fat-laden food.
3. Train yourself to stop eating when you are no longer hungry, and not when you are totally full.
4. Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Not drinking enough may create a false sense of hunger and result in eating too much.
5. Decline soft drinks and choose water instead.
6. Choose food that is high in fibre so it keeps you fuller for longer.
7. Choose steamed or grilled food instead of fried food.
8. Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables during this period to balance the fatty food and sugary drinks.
The tips are from Dr Emily Yong, a resident physician at Raffles HealthScreeners at Raffles Hospital; Ms Lynette Goh, a senior dietitian at National Healthcare Group Polyclinics; and Dr Koh Hau Tek, medical director of Parkway Shenton.