Close to 400,000 numbers have been registered on the Do-Not-Call registry as of 4pm on Jan 2, said the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC).
At a press conference on Thursday, the PDPC added that of these registered numbers, 75 per cent of the consumers chose to block marketing from voice calls, SMS and fax.
Early indications show that companies are taking the new rules that are now in force seriously. Several companies checked their call list against the registry as early as 12.05am on Jan 2. And as of 4pm, some 95 companies checked the registry for about 13 million numbers.
So far, the PDPC has received two complaints from consumers about unsolicited SMSes. The consumers said they had registered their numbers on the DNC last month but received marketing text messages on Jan 2.