SINGAPORE - Botanic Gardens MRT station on the Circle Line was closed briefly on Saturday (Aug 19) morning after an overheated electrical box triggered the station's fire alarm.
The box, located in the station's environment control room, had emitted some smoke, SMRT's vice-president for corporate communications Patrick Nathan told The Straits Times.
This triggered the fire alarm and safety announcements at around 9.40am.
"As a safety precaution, commuters were requested to wait outside the station for a few minutes as station staff looked into the cause of the alarm," said Mr Nathan, who added that train services and amenities were not affected.
"The station was reopened within 15 minutes. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."
A Singapore Civil Defence Force spokesman said the electrical box was isolated and its power supply turned off immediately.
A fire engine, a fire bike, two Red Rhinos and three support appliances responded to the incident.
Investigations are ongoing.