The Singapore Red Cross (SRC) has raised $3.8 million for victims of Typhoon Haiyan since it launch an appeal for donations on Nov 11, said SRC secretary-general Benjamin William on Wednesday.
"Over the short span of two weeks, we have received donations and help from people of all walks of life. I was particularly touched when I heard how Cleo Contreras, a ten-year-old girl, contributed all her piggy bank savings to help the survivors," said Mr William during a press conference. "The outpouring of generosity from Singaporeans has been tremendous."
In addition to an SRC advance team distributing emergency relief items to survivors in Cebu and Ormoc, two medical teams with six doctors and three nurses each are currently in Ormoc providing much-needed healthcare to the survivors of Typhoon Haiyan.
The SRC will now focus on essential needs of affected communities which includes providing shelter, critical amenities like schools, medical centres and water and sanitation facilities, said Mr William. "The priority is to ensure that all donations are optimised and that the needs of individuals and communities affected by this devastating disaster are met in the choice and delivery of these projects," he added.
The SRC has also set up a Restoring Family Links centre at its headquarters here to assist people who are looking for their family members in the Philippines. The call centre has received over 40 calls so far and successfully connected one family.