SINGAPORE - Two men aged 24 and 29 have been arrested in relation to a motorcycle theft reported last month.
A 56-year-old man on May 23 made a police report saying that his motorbike parked at the multi-storey carpark at Block 5, Upper Boon Keng Road, was missing, the police said in a news release on Monday (June 5).
After making extensive ground enquiries and referring to police cameras, Bedok Police Division officers identified the suspects and arrested them over the weekend.
If convicted for the offence of theft of a motor vehicle, the men can be jailed up to seven years and fined.
Investigations against the men are ongoing.
Just last month, at least three people were arrested for stealing motorcycles - a 50-year-old man who stole a bike from a carpark in Jalan Besar, and two teenagers who stole a bike from a Yishun carpark.
The police in their release advised all riders to adopt the following crime prevention measures:
- Park your motorcycle in well-lit areas;
- Install an anti-theft alarm for your motorcycle;
- Use a motorcycle canvas to cover the motorcycle, securing both ends;
- Use additional locking devices such as disc brake locks or install a suspension guard; and
- Remove the ignition key and lock the motorcycle whenever it is unattended.