SINGAPORE - People's Action Party (PAP) cadres on Sunday (Dec 4) elected members of the party's central executive committee (CEC), its highest decision-making body.
The 12 nominees with the highest number of votes will be part of the CEC for a two-year term starting 2017.
The list remains largely unchanged, with the exception of Speaker of Parliament Halimah Yacob, who is now part of the top 12.
She received either the 13th- or 14th-highest vote in 2014, and was later co-opted, according to party practice.
The other CEC members are, in no particular order of the votes they got:
- Party secretary-general Lee Hsien Loong
- Party chairman Khaw Boon Wan
- Vice-chairman Yaacob Ibrahim
- First and second assistant secretary-generals Teo Chee Hean and Tharman Shanmugaratnam
- Treasurer Lim Swee Say
- Assistant treasurer K. Shanmugam
- Organising secretaries Gan Kim Yong and Chan Chun Sing
- Members Grace Fu and Heng Swee Keat
Mr Tan Chuan-Jin - among the top 12 in 2015 - and Dr Vivian Balakrishnan received the 13th- and 14th-highest votes this time around and were co-opted into the CEC.
Dr Balakrishnan, who was not in the last CEC, replaces Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen.