Letter of the day

Include clean toilets in Green Plan 2030

The writer says that every effort will go to waste if another virus like the one causing Covid-19 strikes and spreads due to poor hygiene in public toilets. ST FILE PHOTO
The writer says that every effort will go to waste if another virus like the one causing Covid-19 strikes and spreads due to poor hygiene in public toilets. ST FILE PHOTO

I watched with excitement the launch of the Singapore Green Plan 2030 on Wednesday (Singapore poised to take green leap forward, Feb 11).

However, I noticed that clean toilets were not included in the plan.

This is unfortunate, given that every effort will go to waste if another virus like the one causing Covid-19 strikes and spreads due to poor hygiene in public toilets.

As the winner of the first Singapore Green Plan 2012 Award, I urge the Government to include clean toilets in the Green Plan 2030.

Singapore has invested the last 50 years projecting an image to the world that it is a clean and green Garden City.

It would be penny wise pound foolish to save on paying professional cleaners to clean Singapore's public toilets.

I look forward to seeing clean toilets included in Green Plan 2030.

Jack Sim

Founder

World Toilet Organisation

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on February 12, 2021, with the headline 'Include clean toilets in Green Plan 2030'. Subscribe