(THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Are you one of those who have been exploring accommodation options other than hotels?
Platforms that offer homestays or home rental options have proliferated over this decade. Agoda, one the world’s largest accommodation booking platforms, recently conducted a survey to look at the motivations and booking behaviour driving the rise in non-hotel accommodations (NHAs), which include homestays and rental properties.
The Agoda Travel & Tech Study is based on a survey of 16,000-plus respondents aged between 18 and 64 across 15 countries, and covers the motivations and booking behaviour of travellers in the age of tech innovation.
Below are some of the results of the survey:
1. Travellers are more likely to stay in a home when close to home
Domestic travellers are more likely to book homestays. But they are also more likely to consider booking privately-owned homes or apartments when travelling to neighbouring countries.
Travellers from Indonesia (79 per cent), Singapore (71 per cent), the Philippines (82 per cent) and Thailand (80 per cent) will most likely consider booking homestays when travelling within Asia.
Similarly, travellers from Britain (88 per cent), the United States (84 per cent) and Australia (75 per cent) will most likely consider booking a privately-owned home within their home continent.
2. Reasons for choosing a non-hotel option vary across countries
Indonesians (55 per cent), Malaysians (54 per cent) and Filipinos (53 per cent) will book NHAs to accommodate families and large groups.
Meanwhile, Singaporeans (57 per cent), Thais (54 per cent) and Australians (46 per cent) view NHAs as a less expensive option than a hotel room.
Adventurous Chinese travellers mostly consider NHAs to get a more local travel experience (55 per cent).
3. Types of non-hotel accommodations
Among non-hotel bookers, there is a clear trend in the most popular type of NHAs booked per market.
- B&Bs, or bed and breakfasts, rank first for Filipino travellers, with 53 per cent of those surveyed having booked one in the past year.
- Private homes are among the favourites for travellers from Singapore (44 per cent), Malaysia (40 per cent) and Australia (38 per cent).
- Villas and guest houses are well liked by travellers from Indonesia (37 per cent, 36 per cent) and Thailand (31 per cent, 32 per cent).