With gaming and cosplay gaining mainstream acceptance in recent years, jetting off to attend major pop-culture conventions to mingle with like-minded hobbyists and celebrate these pop-culture sub-genres is an inner fanboy’s dream come true.
Think the New York and San Diego Comic-Cons, the two largest pop culture conventions in the United States that attracted over 300,000 visitors in 2015.
Thanks to affordable flights, a sense of unconventional wanderlust and a desire to bond with like-minded hobbyists, an increasing number of travellers are inspired to move away from usual cookie-cutter tours that visit famous landmark attractions.
A 2016 survey conducted by Northstar Research Partners for Expedia on the travel habits of millennials, and even post-millennials (Generation Z), showed that more than a third of them travel to attend concerts, festivals and events such as pop-culture conventions.
Data released by Nielsen, a market research company showed that 32 million people attended at least one festival in the United States in 2014. And almost half of them are millennials.
As "geek culture" becomes more mainstream, more interesting programmes are being lined up at popular multi-genre entertainment and pop-culture conventions to target this group of travellers. Check out these star events in the pipeline next year.
Dress up as your favourite fictional character and no one will bat an eyelid at this famous comic and entertainment convention. You will also get an exclusive first peek at the trailers of upcoming movies.
Till August 5, 2018 (various US cities)
Don’t miss this series of gaming festivals organised by gamers, for gamers. Play new indie games, meet the creators behind them, and check out the latest gaming technology. Some gaming publishers will even offer exclusive in-game contents to attendees.
Jan 12 to 14, 2018 (San Antonio), Apr 5 to 8, 2018 (Boston) and Nov 17 to 19, 2018 (Philadelphia)
Get ready for a wild ride at this convention celebrating colourful characters with drag queen RuPaul in the lead. RuPaul's Drag Race, a reality competition show for drag performers, is a pop-culture phenomenon. Meet famous names in drag from across the US and attend panels where you get to pose questions to your favourite drag performers.
May 11 to 18, 2018 (Los Angeles)
Catch exciting wrestling matches and even a fantasy-inspired burlesque show at this huge convention on fiction and fantasy literature, gaming and film. Dress up for a masquerade ball, take photos with your favourite actors at autograph sessions and sign up for writing workshops — you might just be the next George R.R Martin.
Aug 30 to Sep 3, 2018 (Atlanta)
What’s new at United Airlines
From Oct 29, 2017, United Airlines will be introducing daily non-stop flights between Singapore’s Changi Airport and Los Angeles International Airport. This new flight route saves at least two hours each way, compared to the current United Airlines schedule via San Francisco.
Arrival time in Los Angeles is 10.15am, so travellers get to maximise their time for the rest of the first day in the city.
It is also ideal for travellers who want to catch a connecting flight.
United Airlines operates nearly 130 daily flights to over 40 airports across the US from the Los Angeles hub, with frequent daily service to popular cities such as New York, Chicago, Denver, San Francisco, Houston and Washington, D.C.
For more information. log on to united.com.
Win a pair of air tickets
Stand a chance to win a pair of Economy Class tickets from Singapore to Los Angeles worth $4,600 when you answer the questions below correctly. 10 winners will be selected to win a $50 United Airlines goodie bag.
- When will the new daily non-stop flights from Singapore to Los Angeles be launched?
- How many hours will travellers save when flying on the new non-stop route?
Click here for more details.
Terms and conditions apply:
- Open to Singapore Residents only.
- Verification of a valid Singaporean address from the winner is required to confirm validity of the prize.
- The winner of the giveaway will receive a pair of round-trip tickets.
- The pair tickets should be used at the same time with the same itinerary. The pair tickets can’t be separated as a single ticket to be used twice
- The winner will be liable for all applicable taxes, fees and surcharges (to be paid by credit card).
- The winner will be responsible for relevant visa and documentation for the travel.
- Valid for round-trip between Singapore and Los Angeles only.
- The tickets will be valid for six month from the date of issue.
- The tickets are for Economy Class.
- The tickets are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- Accommodation, and all other expenses, are not covered by Singapore Press Holdings.