In the augmented reality game Pokemon Go, players race to capture virtual creatures called Pokemon, and get the thrill of adding them to their collection.
There are no prizes but the player with the largest collection gets bragging rights and admiration from friends.
Now there is another augmented reality game, but this time you play it for real prizes. And with the school holidays round the corner, this promises to be real family fun.
The game is a treasure hunt called the Royal Hunt, and it is launched by world-renowned cruise brand Royal Caribbean to commemorate its 11th anniversary in Singapore.
The Royal Hunt starts on March 2 and ends on March 20. Here is how you play:
1. Download the Royal Hunt app from the App Store or Google Playstore;
2. Activate the app and check the e-map. The e-map will show the locations of 20 MRT stations — Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Bugis, Buona Vista, Chinatown, Choa Chu Kang, City Hall, Dhoby Ghaut, Harbourfront, Jurong East, MacPherson, Punggol, Tampines, Tanjong Pagar, Raffles Place, Serangoon, Stadium, Tiong Bahru, Toa Payoh and Woodlands;
3. Select any of the MRT stations indicated on the e-map and look for the Royal Hunt posters within each MRT station;
4. Scan the golden anchor QR code embedded within each Royal Hunt poster to drop the anchor onto each tile on the scorecard. After scanning each QR code, go to the next location to collect the subsequent Golden Anchors;
5. After collecting five Golden Anchors, you will be assigned a specific location to collect the sixth and final Golden Anchor;
6. After collecting the sixth Golden Anchor, you complete the scorecard and end the game. You will then be in the running to win the top prize.
Six Golden Anchors must be collected to complete the scorecard.
Three hundred players who collect all six Golden Anchors will be selected to qualify for the Grand Draw which will be conducted at the Natas travel fair on March 24.
The top prize (worth $15,000) is a seven-night Mediterranean Cruise for two on board Royal Caribbean's state-of-the-art Symphony of the Seas. The prize also includes return economy airfare to Barcelona, Spain.
Symphony of the Seas is the world's largest cruise ship with 18 decks, 2,759 staterooms and can accommodate 6,680 guests.
Nine runners-up will each win a four-night South-east Asia cruise for two on board Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas cruise ship. Each cruise is worth over $1,950.
All the 300 finalists will each receive a limited edition specially-commissioned 24K gold-plated medallion worth $168.
The first 3,000 players will each win $2 food and beverage e-vouchers upon the collection of the first and the third Golden Anchors.
The first 5,000 players to collect the sixth Golden Anchor will each win $50 Royal Caribbean e-vouchers.
The Royal Hunt will officially begin at the front of Chevron House on March 2 from noon to 2pm. Look out for a two-metre tall Golden Anchor installation near the launch site.
The first 1,000 players who download the Royal Hunt App on-site will receive a gift.
On March 3, UFM 100.3 DJs Limei and Xinying will lead two groups of 20 listeners in a race to be the fastest to collect all six Golden Anchors.
All participants who complete the hunt will receive a Royal Caribbean goodie bag, a limited edition Royal Hunt EZ link card and a scrumptious lunch treat, worth a total of $118.
The winning team will also get to feast on delectable Pen Cai worth $388 and receive $1,000 worth of shopping vouchers.
So don't miss out on this great opportunity to have some fun and win prizes too.
Download the app and start the Royal Hunt today!