Brought to you by Qoo10
A bright lip colour is one of the main components of the minimalist K-beauty make-up look.
While the rest of the face looks pretty much natural and bare, a pop of crimson on the lips pulls the look together.
On-trend lip colours in Seoul are bright tangerine, coral pink, soft rose pink, barely there nude and wine red.
The liquid lip tints from South Korean brands are almost always bright and pigmented, but the most fashionable Korean women never wear them in bold slicks.
The colours are always blended out with fingertips or a sponge-tipped tool.
There are two distinctive K-beauty lip make-up styles:
• Blooming flower lips: Using a big stipple brush, apply a small amount of foundation all over lips. Then add lipstick or tint on the middle of the lips and blend it outwards. The colour does not have to reach the edge of the lips.
The result? The pout will look smaller and as though a flower had bloomed in the middle of it.
• Popsicle lips: Apply lip colour in the middle of bare lips and blend it outwards and towards the edge of the lips. The colour does not have to look perfectly applied. When that is done, the lips will look tinted, as though one has just eaten an ice popsicle.
This trick is great for days when one does not want to wear make-up, but just wants a hint of colour on the face.
Here are some lip tints from the Qoo10 website (www.Qoo10.sg). Prices vary daily, depending on promotions.
1. Son & Park Lip Crayon in 04 Honey Nude, item no. 424691768
This nude lipstick by South Korean celebrity make-up artists Park Tae Yun and Son Dae Sik is supposedly often sold out. It is sheer, moisturising, enhances one’s natural lip colour and gives lips a subtle shine.
2. Banila Co. Kiss Collector Lip Crayon in OR01 Caramel, item no. 420448197
A matte and bright orange-red lip crayon that can be blended easily, and stains the lips.
3. Pony Memebox Blossom Lip Color in #01 Rose Garden, item no. 424777799
This lipstick by popular South Korean celebrity make-up artist and blogger Pony comes in a lovely dusky red. While pigmented enough to be opaque in two slicks, the formula is also lightweight with a matte finish. It is also long-lasting.
4. Get Your Crayon lip crayon in 04 Bad Girl, no. 413810576
A long-wearing cherry red lip crayon which gives lips a matte finish.
5. RiRe Lipmanicure High Fix in Wine Burgundy, no. 436993718
This waterproof liquid lipstick does not budge once it sets. It can be cleaned off only with a waterproof make-up remover. The deep burgundy colour is opaque and has a matte finish.
6. Romantic Bear Long Lasting Lip Color in Sexy Red, item no. 425296998
Fresh out of the tube, this red liquid lipstick is a gooey, sticky gel. Spread it evenly on lips and wait for it to dry. Then rub or peel off the gel for a long-lasting subtle orange-red tint on the lips.
7. Peripera Peri’s Ink in No-Spoiler, item no. 419102529
A bright pink, watery liquid lipstick that is long-lasting. The formula is rich with colour, so a little bit goes a long way.
8. Son & Park Color Cube Air Tint Lip in 08 Crimson Pink, item no. 432122308
A pretty coral-pink lipstick with a cream-to-powder finish.
The colour is very pigmented. A tiny dollop is all you need to spread over the entire lip area. Stains lips subtly.
• Tune in to Kiss92 FM every Thursday at 2pm for beauty tips from Life writer Gladys Chung and stand a chance to win beauty hampers worth $100, limited sets only. For more details, log on to Qtalk Live Forum.