How do I wear blue eyeliner without looking like I am trapped in a bad 1980s movie?
Bold blue eyeliner can freshen up a look in a way that a basic black eyeliner cannot. Cobalt blues and aquatic shades with a tinge of green can give the eyes an edgy urban twist.
But, when badly done, blue eye make-up is often associated with gaudy 1980s dress-up and 1950s vintage style gone wrong.
Senior artist at MAC Cosmetics Louise Zizzo, who is from England and based in California, shares tips on how to get the look right:
• Avoid pastel
Keep away from pastel shades. They can be more tricky to wear and could go wrong quickly.
• Choose rich shades
Blue can be sophisticated and it can complement Asian skin tones, medium and dark skin tones as well as deeper eye colours. Use richer tones such as midnight blue or a cobalt blue if you want a jolt of colour.
• Keep the rest of the face clean
With a lot of the bold make-up trends this season, the key is to emphasise only one feature. A little highlighter on the cheeks and a light neutral lip colour should go with bold eyes.
• Keep it close to the lash line
For those who are weary of looking dramatic, keep the width of the eyeliner across the eye the same as the pencil tip. For a look that is more fun than glamorous, end the eyeliner at the outer edge of the eye rather than creating a cat-eye flick.
Here are some products that will help achieve the look:
1. ColorStay Skinny Liquid Liner in Electric Blue, $19.90, from Revlon, available at Watsons, Guardian and major department stores
A long-wear liquid eyeliner that comes with an ultra-fine 0.1 mm tip for precise application.
2. Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Bluefin, $36, from Stila, available at all Sephora stores
A vibrant blue shade that delivers an intense and highly pigmented eyeliner. Its slight metallic tone adds dimension to the eyes.
3. Aqua Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner in Blue With Green Highlights, $34, from Make Up For Ever, available at all Sephora stores
A highly pigmented and creamy eyeliner that creates a rich and dynamic line on the eye.
4. Eyeliner Stylo in Atlantic, $40, from Nars, available at Tangs at Tang Plaza, Robinsons Orchard and Sephora outlets at Ion Orchard, Ngee Ann City and Marina Bay Sands
A navy blue shade complements any outfit. The non-staining formula does not flake after application and is smudge-proof after it dries.
5. Fluidline in Siahi, $31, from MAC, available at Tangs at Tangs Plaza. It will be available at all MAC outlets from April 1.
The teal shade of this waterproof gel liner creates a fun and fresh look as opposed to a serious and formal appearance created by darker tones.