FRIED TEMPURA FISH IN TACO
For the French fries
60g frozen French fries
1 Tbs garlic, chopped
1 Tbs shallot, chopped
1 Tbs dried shrimp, rinsed and coarsely chopped
½ tsp chilli powder
Dash of MSG
Dash of pepper
½ tsp salt
For marinade (A)
Pinch of salt
Dash of pepper and ground black pepper
1 tsp Sriracha chilli sauce
120g fish fillet, cut into slices
1 egg, lightly beaten, with a dash of salt and sugar
¾ cup plain flour
½ cup tempura flour mixed with adequate cold water
4 taco shells
Some salad leaves
Some shredded carrot
Some shredded cucumber
A few slices cheddar cheese (optional)
Adequate sour cream
- Prepare the French fries: Deep-fry the fries in hot oil until crispy then drain well.
- Saute garlic and shallot with 2 to 3 Tbs oil until fragrant. Dish out. To the same oil, add the dried shrimp and fry till crispy. Add chilli powder and toss in fries, garlic and shallots. Stir in seasoning to mix.
- Prepare the fish: Season the fish slices with marinade (A).
- Dip fish slices in beaten egg, then into flour. Shake off excess flour and coat with tempura batter.
- Heat enough oil in a wok and deep-fry fish slices till crunchy and golden brown. Drain from oil and put on crushed paper kitchen towels.
- Bake or grill taco shells in a preheated oven at 160 deg C for three to four minutes till extra crunchy.
- To serve, place a piece of salad leaf on each taco shell, top with some shredded carrot and cucumber. Add a piece of fish, a slice of cheddar cheese and some sour cream on the side. Serve immediately with a little French fries.
ROAST CRISPY CHICKEN IN TACO
1 piece roasted chicken drumstick (store-bought)
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1 Tbs cornflour
3 pieces crunchy taco shells
2 Tbs shredded red capsicum
Adequate salad leaves, shredded
A few strips carrot and Japanese cucumber
Adequate purple cabbage, shredded
For the sauce (combine)
2 Tbs mayonnaise
1 Tbs wasabi mayo sauce
Pinch of sugar and salt
- Debone the roast chicken drumstick and cut into three equal pieces. Lightly season with dark soya sauce and sprinkle with a little cornflour. Lightly pan-fry.
- To serve, spread some shredded capsicum and salad leaves into the taco shells. Add a piece of prepared chicken. Top with the rest of the garnishing ingredients and serve with a drizzle of the sauce.
AVOCADO SALSA IN TACO
1 medium tomato
1 medium ripe avocado
1 Tbs diced carrot
1 Tbs diced yellow capsicum
30g cucumber, diced
30g diced celery
2 Tbs fresh corn kernels
1 Tbs coarsely chopped coriander
1 Tbs chopped spring onion
For the sauce
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp chilli flakes
¼ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp plum sauce
2 to 3 Tbs fresh lime juice
3 to 4 pieces crunchy taco shells
- Cut the tomato into quarters, remove the seeds and dice. Dice the avocado and drizzle with a little lemon juice (to prevent oxidation).
- Combine the tomato and avocado with the rest of the vegetables in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add sauce ingredients and toss to combine.
- To get taco shells crunchy, bake them in a preheated oven at 160 deg C for three to five minutes.
- Place a lettuce leaf in the taco shell. Spoon the avocado salad filling over and serve at once.