Slide sandals are a godsend for those who love the comfort of slippers, but want to look a little less sloppy.
More covered up than flip-flops with literally more room for stylish adornments, they are a great footwear choice for casual weekends and outdoor parties.
Slide sandals were previously seen as more practical than fashion statement-making - think Birkenstocks or adidas' iconic striped adilette sandals that were created in the 1970s as footwear for the changing room.
Recently, however, slide sandals have gotten a style upgrade, with even high-end brands such as Celine and Chloe coming up with their own versions.
For her Fenty label with German athletic brand Puma, singer Rihanna popped a fur strap over her chunky- soled slides while Tommy Hilfiger has one that pops with colour.
HOW TO WEAR THEM
• A versatile pair is one with a thick strap and a medium- thickness sole. The weighty look of the shoe will ground most outfits, as opposed to those with thinner soles, which look too dainty.
• Although slide sandals are considered casual footwear, it is a step above the flip-flops that one wears to the wet market. At the very least, slide sandals should be paired with smart-casual outfits that include trousers, blazers and asymmetrical skirts.
• Have a pedicure - eyes will be drawn to your toes.
• Should you wear your slide sandals with socks? Not unless you can pull the look off with the right attitude, like Rihanna who styled hers with long white socks pulled up to the calf, or paired with sweatpants.
1. Madrid classic patent leather in pink, $99, Birkenstock
Contrast this bright-pink pair with a colourful outfit or tone it down with a white shirt dress.
2. Cross strap slider in metallic faux leather, $43.90, Charles & Keith
Wear this cool metallic slide with a black maxi dress and blazer.
3. Silver Lilico slide, $470, Sophia Webster at On Pedder
The silver shade matches most outfits. Pair with skinny jeans and an oversized shirt or with a sundress.
4. Black fur slides, $79, Fenty by Puma (available from Saturday)
The chunky sole balances baggy outfits or separates such as boyfriend jeans.
Wear it with cropped sweat- pants and a bomber jacket for an edgy look.
5. Black Yiravia slides with cut-outs, $99, Aldo
The cut-out detail makes this more than just a basic slide.
Wear with culottes, a striped T-shirt and a chunky wooden necklace.