The 38-year-old actress, who gained recognition for her role in the television drama Scandal, walked the red carpet at the Emmys last month with a faux bob.
Washington, whose hair originally falls slightly below her collarbone, presents the perfect option for those who want to experiment with a short bob, but are unwilling to cut their hair.
She has tucked in her longer tresses at the nape of her neck to give the illusion of a shorter style.
The textured look, along with the side part, makes the style suitable for most face shapes.
How to style the look:
1. Apply a heat-protecting spray to freshly washed hair.
2. Use a pair of medium-sized heated tongs to curl hair.
3. Apply a curl enhancer to shape and define curls.
4. Tease the hair slightly with a boar bristle brush to create more volume at the top of the head and around the ears.
5. Divide the hair into easy-to- manage sections - about 4cm wide. Loosely pin or tie up the sections yet to be used.
6. Roll each section around a finger and pin the rolled portion at the base of your head with a bobby pin.
7. Finish off with a curl-enhancing spray.