The ongoing matt liquid lipstick trend has been seen on celebrities including model Gigi Hadid, singer Rihanna and actress Emma Stone.
The look was also boosted by the popularity of the Kylie lip kit, a pack by reality television personality Kylie Jenner which consists of a matt liquid lipstick and a lip liner. Released late last year, the kit appeared to be sold out on its official website a minute after the launch.
Liquid lipsticks create a strong bold opaque look and most are highly pigmented, which means they last longer than regular lipsticks and lip gloss.
Though the Kylie lip kits are available only online, here are some matt liquid lipsticks - tried and tested by The Straits Times - that are in stores here.
1. Everlasting Liquid Lipstick, $31, from Kat Von D, available at Sephora
This intensely pigmented lipstick with a velvety texture feels very comfortable on the lips and is not drying. It has great coverage and lasts for at least five hours.
2. Pop Liquid Matte Lip Colour + Primer, $35, from Clinique, available at Clinique counters
The creamy liquid lipstick leaves the lips feeling soft and moisturised, probably due to ingredients such as avocado oil, sunflower oil and vitamin E. However, the pigmented product still has a slight sheen after it dries and is not as matt as expected.
3. Color Riche L'Extraordinaire Mat, $21.90, from L'Oreal Paris, available at Watsons, Guardian, Sasa, selected department stores and supermarkets
This lightweight, less pigmented product gives the lips a much softer, sheer matt look and would work for those who are not quite ready for full-on solid matt lips.
4. Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour, $39, from M.A.C, available at M.A.C counters
The high-pigment product glides on smoothly and dries with a strong suede-like matt finish. It lasts for at least five hours, but tends to become slightly patchy upon re-application.
5. Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick, $19, from NYX, available at Sephora
Non-drying with an opaque matt finish, this mousse-like product feels comfortable on the lips. The formula does not last very long, but it is easy to re-apply and does not become patchy.