How do I style lace-up pieces?
Lace-up detail, or the use of string to create criss-crosses across fabric, have been all the rage recently, borrowing from an amalgamation of hippie and boho styles of the 1970s.
It is extremely versatile - it can function to show off a cheeky peek of skin or as a statement detail on a piece of clothing.
Because of its versatility, such detail can be used to adorn anything from lingerie to flowy bohemian tops.
So how does one incorporate lace-up pieces into one's daily wardrobe without looking overtly raunchy?
For a fashionable weekend look, add a touch of edge with leggings or trousers that have lace-up details down the side.
For those who seek comfort and a more dressed-down ensemble, an oversized sweater with lace-ups is always a winning option.
For an edgy look that oozes street-style cool, pair leggings with mesh and lace-up panels at the sides, with a retro tee and a satin bomber jacket for the ultimate athleisure look.
1. Short-sleeved graphic T-shirt (Andy Warhol), $19.90, from Uniqlo
2. Lace-up leggings, $76.90, from Topshop
3. Bomber jacket, $55.90, from H&M
4. IGC x NOTA leather sneakers, $239, from In Good Company
CHIC AND COMFORTABLE
Comfort need not be achieved at the expense of style. Throw on an oversized sweater with corset-style lace-up around the waist. Avoid looking sloppy by styling it with embellished jeans and metallic sandals.
1. Corset sweatshirt, $55.90, from Pull and Bear
2. Embroidered straight crop jeans, $89.90, from Mango from Zalora
3. Brushed hoop earrings, $34, from Abercrombie and Fitch
4. Farah Arrows Gold sandals, $225, from The Tui Collection 2017
SEXY NIGHT OUT
Elevate a girls' night out look by sporting a little black dress that laces up at the front. Balance out flirty femininity with an edgy statement clutch and eye-catching strappy heels.
1. Only black lace-up dress, $63.90, from Dorothy Perkins
2. Handle braided bag, $175, from Bimba Y Lola
3. Contrast fabric high-heeled sandals, $119, from Zara