How does one pull off fishnet stockings?
Fishnet stockings are hard to pull off and it is easy to end up looking like a saloon woman of the Wild West in the 19th century.
The distinct and bold pattern screams for attention.
But there are ways to match the tights such that they add an edge to your style without making you look risque.
Fishnets can give a rock ’n’ roll vibe to a feminine outfit and additional texture to a style when worn under grungy ripped jeans.
For those who are not ready to wear full-legged stockings, there is also a peek-a-boo option where fishnet ankle socks can be seen just beneath the hem of the pants.
Some outfits to try
MAKE IT FEMININE
Pair fishnet stockings with a floral print or a lighter fabric such as chiffon. This tones down the harder edge of the tights and adds a girly touch. Fishnet stockings of a warm or pastel colour can also help to soften the style.
1. Patterned dungaree shorts, $19.90, from H&M
2. Duffle green style 23V, $89, from Vans
3. Supersized fishnet tights, $13.90, from Topshop
TAKE THE STREET GRUNGE APPROACH
The rips in the jeans allow the stocking pattern to peek through without looking too over-the-top.The sneakers add a sporty vibe.
1. Flowy strap top, $39.90, from Mango
2. Mom fit jeans with rips and text, $69.90, from Pull & Bear
3. Fishnet tights, $19.90, from Zara
4. New Balance 247 Women’s shoes in white, $119, from New Balance, available from Saturday
NOTHING ABOVE THE ANKLES
Stockings can also look great with pants. Matched with a pair of chunky heels and straight-cut pants, fishnet socks can give an office outfit a foxy element.
1. Black pants, $91.80, from iRoo
2.Asymmetric peplum top, $25.90, from Zalora
3. Oversized fishnet ankle socks, $12.67, from Asos (available in packs of two)