How to look stylish without trying too hard? Wear a baseball cap. American rapper Kanye West and Drake would know, having worn the accessory with bomber jackets and crew-neck sweaters.
Bad hair day? Slap on a cap. Want to be an enigma? Pull it lower down your face.
It is usually made in a cotton material and in a plain solid colour with an embroidered logo on it.
There are two styles for the baseball cap - one has a flat brim (called the snapback) while the other has a curved brim. It is the ultimate accessory for perfecting the dressed-down, model off-duty look.
For a laid-back and sporty vibe, style it with a crew-neck T-shirt with jeans and ankle boots. Or up the glam factor by pairing a baseball cap with a huge pair of hoop earrings like pop star Rihanna.
Tips on pulling off the look:
• Avoid caps made of polyester material or that have mesh designs at the back. Go for those made of cotton. The softer and more unstructured the cap is, the better.
• Baseball caps with a curved brim frame the face better,while snapbacks look better when worn backwards because of their flat brim.
• When in doubt, match the colour of your cap to your outfit.
• Choose a cap with simple embroidered logos such as a letter or initials over one that looks like a souvenir cap from say, last year's golf tournament.
Here are some picks:
1. Pink performance hat with adjustable velcro strap, $29, adidas at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
This cap is as pretty as it is functional. It has a built-in sweatband and the material blocks out ultraviolet rays.
2. White cap with embroidered strawberry from Hater Snapback, $45, P.V.S at Cathay Cineleisure
Style this cap with silver hoop earrings and an oversized denim jacket.
3. Black snapback cap from New Era, $69, L.E. Way at 313@Somerset
If you are going to buy your first baseball cap now, make it one from the classic American baseball cap brand New Era Cap Company.
4. White cap with pinky ring embroidery from Any Memes, $49, Da'Cave Store at Queensway Shopping Centre
It may not have the same street cred as the Nike "swoosh", but quirky icons such as this are a fun alternative to brand logos.
5. Red cotton cap, $29.90, Topshop.com
Make a statement - or warn others - with this cap that spells "Trouble".