Rebel Wilson awarded US$3.6 million in defamation case

Actress Rebel Wilson at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party in Beverly Hills, California on Feb 28, 2016.
Actress Rebel Wilson at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party in Beverly Hills, California on Feb 28, 2016. PHOTO: REUTERS

SYDNEY (AFP) - Hollywood actor Rebel Wilson won US$3.6 million (S$4.8 million) in damages on Wednesday following a lengthy defamation case against an Australian publisher that portrayed her as a serial liar.

The 37-year-old Pitch Perfect star successfully sued Bauer Media over magazine articles which claimed she had lied about her age and background to further her acting career - walking away with what is said to be Australia's largest-ever payout for defamation.

Bauer argued the allegations made in Woman's Day, Australian Women's Weekly and OK Magazine in 2015 were true and denied they had damaged her reputation.

Justice John Dixon said Bauer had "acted in its own corporate interests to secure improved circulation, or increased views/hits".

Throughout the three-week trial, Wilson claimed she was sacked from DreamWorks animated feature films Trolls and Kung Fu Panda 3 following the articles.

"Bauer Media took me down with a series of grubby and completely false articles," she said after winning the case in June.

"Far too often, I feel the tabloid magazines and the journalists who work for them don't abide by professional ethics."

She has previously said she would give the money to charity and the Australian film industry.