O.J. 'wants 7-figure sum for interview'

LOS ANGELES • O.J. Simpson - who was freed from prison recently - answered the call for wefies when he visited a smartphone shop on Tuesday.

The 70-year-old is reportedly quickly getting back into the routine of modern living - including dealing with celebrity-obsessed Americans - after nearly a decade of jail time for an armed robbery in Las Vegas. He is staying in Las Vegas for now - photos have also appeared showing him playing golf - while he sorts out his future moves.

That could include a television interview - provided the network or cable operator is willing to pay a seven-figure amount. That sum has been shopped around by his advisers, the Hollywood Reporter said.

But given his notoriety, including his acquittal in 1995 for the alleged murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown, media companies are not biting for now, fearing a backlash from viewers and advertisers.

Last month, the New York Post said Simpson could be seeking US$3 million (S$4.1 million) to US$5 million for an interview.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 06, 2017, with the headline 'O.J. 'wants 7-figure sum for interview''. Print Edition | Subscribe