Elton John to halt shows during royal wedding

Singer Elton John (left, with singer Miley Cyrus) will not be performing residency shows in Las Vegas on May 18 and 19.
Singer Elton John (left, with singer Miley Cyrus) will not be performing residency shows in Las Vegas on May 18 and 19.PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

LONDON • Elton John is playing it safe. Over the weekend, the 70-year-old singer's website announced that he would not be performing residency shows in Las Vegas on May 18 and 19.

That weekend happens to be the high-profile wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in Windsor Castle in England.

Although it is not known yet if the couple have invited the singer, one would not bet against it.

After all, John sang Candle In The Wind at the funeral of Prince Harry's mother, Princess Diana - who died in a car crash in Paris in 1997 - and is also pally-pally with the royal himself.

Last month, he revealed in an interview on British broadcaster ITV's Lorraine show that he had "spent some time with him in Sicily last summer and I could tell that he was totally in love".

"He didn't really discuss much personally, but he said 'I'm in love' and I thought, good for you."

People magazine also cited John as saying that Prince Harry's elder brother, Prince William, was enjoying family life with Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

John also attended Prince William's wedding in 2011.

"Both those boys seem to be ecstatically happy," said the singer, who recently announced that he is bowing out of touring to spend more time with his two sons.

"And that's all you want people to be, no matter who they are."

In the Lorraine interview, the Rocket Man also paid tribute to Princess Diana, calling her a "great friend", although their relationship was not entirely smooth sailing.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on February 13, 2018, with the headline 'Elton John to halt shows during royal wedding'. Print Edition | Subscribe