Ellen DeGeneres Show workplace under probe

LOS ANGELES • WarnerMedia has started an investigation into the workplace environment of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, the syndicated programme that has been a staple of daytime television since 2003.

The decision to start the review followed the publication of articles that included allegations from current and former employees of discrimination and mistreatment.

BuzzFeed News published an article this month that described what it called a "toxic work culture".

In the article, former staff members said they faced "racism, fear and intimidation" and laid most of the blame on three of the show's executive producers - Mr Ed Glavin, Ms Mary Connelly and Mr Andy Lassner.

Former employees said they were fired for taking medical or bereavement leave. Black employees said they experienced racist comments.

In a joint statement to BuzzFeed News, Mr Glavin, Ms Connelly and Mr Lassner said: "For the record, the day to day responsibility of the Ellen show is completely on us. We take all of this very seriously and we realise, as many in the world are learning, that we need to do better, are committed to do better, and we will do better."

The Ellen DeGeneres Show, the winner of dozens of Emmys, is now on summer hiatus. Warner Bros has yet to announce how it will go on as the pandemic continues.

Last year, DeGeneres, 62, renewed her contract to continue hosting the programme till 2022. She also signed a deal to create three shows for WarnerMedia's streaming platform, HBO Max.

NYTIMES

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 29, 2020, with the headline 'Ellen DeGeneres Show workplace under probe'. Print Edition | Subscribe