Alleged sexual assault: Prosecutors not charging Sylvester Stallone

The victim alleged actor Sylvester Stallone had sexually assaulted her in 1987 and 1990 and provided witnesses.
The victim alleged actor Sylvester Stallone had sexually assaulted her in 1987 and 1990 and provided witnesses.PHOTO: AFP

LOS ANGELES • The Los Angeles County District Attorney's office has decided there is not enough evidence to prosecute actor Sylvester Stallone over allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman in 1987 and 1990, according to an agency document released on Tuesday.

The allegations from a woman in Santa Monica, California, also are outside of the statute of limitations, officials said in a charge-evaluation worksheet by the district attorney's office.

The document said the victim, whose name was blacked out, stated that she and Stallone had a consensual relationship in 1987. The complainant's name has never been publicly released.

The victim alleged Stallone then sexually assaulted her in 1987 and 1990 and provided witnesses, the document said.

"However, none of the fresh complaint witnesses corroborated the victim's allegations," the document said. "Additional investigation did not provide any further corroboration."

The complaint was made in November last year and Stallone has consistently denied the accusations.

"Mr Stallone has continually disputed the charges," Ms Michelle Bega, a representative for Stallone, said on Tuesday.

 

The 72-year-old actor skyrocketed to fame in 1976 with his Oscar-winning boxing movie, Rocky, and went on to become one of Hollywood's biggest action stars.

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on November 01, 2018, with the headline 'Alleged sexual assault: Prosecutors not charging Sylvester Stallone'. Print Edition | Subscribe