Local singer Kit Chan is taking part in the upcoming third season of the popular China reality singing contest I Am A Singer.
Here are five things you might not know about the TV show.
1. The Hunan TV programme's format is actually from South Korea's MBC network.
Instead of newcomers jostling for a share of the limelight, the format here pits professional singers against each other. There are no judges. Instead, the singers are ranked according to the votes cast by a live audience.
2. Kit Chan is the first Singaporean to appear on the show.
This season's other contestants include Taiwan's A-lin and Chinese singers Anson Hu, Sun Nan and Jane Zhang, previously seen on Hunan TV's talent show Super Girl. The new season starts on Jan 2.
3. A contestant has to sing material by other singers except for the first song, and, if he or she makes it that far, for the finale number.
For her first number, Chan picked Shino Lin's Tempting Heart, a ballad she had covered on her last album Re-interpreting Kit Chan (2011).
4. I Am A Singer has boosted the careers of artists
Artists who have benefited from being on the show include Hong Kong's G.E.M., Malaysia's Shila Amzah and Taiwan's Terry Lin. G.E.M. brings her X.X.X. Live World Tour to the Max Pavilion in Singapore for an impressive three nights from Jan 30 to Feb 1 while Shila performed at the Skechers Sundown Festival 2014 on Nov 22.
5. The host is not exempt from elimination.
Hong Kong's Leo Ku is the emcee in the current season and he follows in the footsteps of Chinese pop duo Yu Quan, who won in the inaugural edition in 2013, and Taiwanese pop singer Phil Chang.