• January 2004: The A-list movie celebrities meet on the set of the romantic thriller Mr & Mrs Smith. Brad Pitt is a pretty boy and Angelina Jolie a wild child. He is still married to wholesome television star Jennifer Aniston. Jolie - replacing Nicole Kidman in the role of Mrs Smith - is a divorced mother of an adopted son, Maddox, having ended her marriage to actor Billy Bob Thornton in 2003.
• January 2005: After a New Year beach vacation in Anguilla, Pitt and Aniston announce their separation.
• March 2005: Aniston files for divorce from Pitt. Speculation swirls about his affair with Jolie.
• April 2005: The rumours are confirmed when Pitt and Jolie are photographed on a beach in Kenya, playing with Maddox. Thus begins Brangelina, one of the most controversial couplings in Hollywood history, as people take sides as "Team Aniston" or "Team Jolie".
• Summer 2005: Brangelina refuse to comment on their relationship, instead posing as a happy family in a 60-page spread in W magazine. "There's a sensitivity chip that's missing," Aniston tells Vanity Fair magazine, after the photos are published.
When Jolie adopts a daughter, Zahara, from Ethiopia, Pitt accompanies her.
• Winter 2005: Pitt files to legally adopt Maddox and Zahara.
• January 2006: Brangelina drop the bombshell that not only are they officially a couple, but Jolie is pregnant with Pitt's baby.
• May 2006: Jolie gives birth to a girl, Shiloh, in Namibia. The first pictures of Brangelina's first biological child reportedly go to People magazine and the British press for nearly US$8 million combined; the proceeds go to charity.
• March 2007: The Jolie-Pitt clan expands. The couple adopt another son, Pax, from Vietnam.
• July 2008: Jolie gives birth to twins - a girl, Vivienne, and a boy, Knox.
• October 2008: Jolie draws a backlash when she tells The New York Times she is excited about eventually showing Mr & Mrs Smith to the six children because "not a lot of people get to see a movie where their parents fell in love".
• April 2012: The couple get engaged. Pitt tells CBS News that they are receiving increased pressure from their children, who say, "Get mummy a ring."
• May 2013: Jolie writes a New York Times op-ed about deciding to have a double mastectomy after discovering she carries a gene that sharply increases her risk of developing breast and ovarian cancers. "I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," she writes.
• August 2014: The couple marry in a ceremony before about 20 friends and family members in a Romanesque chapel on the grounds of Chateau Miraval, their estate in the south of France. Master tailor Luigi Massi of Atelier Versace makes Jolie's wedding dress, incorporating designs from her children's drawings.
As their honeymoon, Jolie directs Pitt in the moody film By The Sea, about a married couple drifting apart. She tells Vanity Fair magazine: "A few friends asked if we were crazy."
• Sept 7, 2016: Pitt is profiled for The New York Times by Man Booker-winning novelist Marlon James, who avoids inquiring about Jolie and the children. Pitt, who is cool and has rare books on fringe culture, "seems more like the Dude than a dad", James writes.
• Sept 19, 2016: Jolie files for divorce from Pitt.
WASHINGTON POST, NYTIMES, REUTERS