Artists accuse festival director of sexual harassment

VIENNA •An Austrian festival director faced allegations of sexual harassment on Wednesday, with five female artists saying they were outraged no action had been taken against him.

The five wrote in an open letter that they had either experienced, witnessed or heard of abuse of power and sexual harassment by the artistic director of the Tyrolean Festival Erl.

Conductor Gustav Kuhn, who was not named in the letter, founded the festival in 1998 with its summer programme currently taking place in Austria's Tyrol province and is its artistic director.

The women, who worked at the festival between 1998 and last year, said some of them experienced harassment, such as "unwanted kissing on the mouth or breast, groping under the pullover, a hand between the legs", besides "obscene verbal advances".

The artists - Belarusian violinist Aliona Dargel, German soprano Bettine Kampp, Albanian-Italian violinist Ninela Lamaj, German mezzo-soprano Julia Oesch and Swiss soprano Mona Somm - said they were "outraged" that no action had been taken despite the "widely known facts".

"We were regularly exposed to the unrestrained aggression of the artistic director," they said, adding that mobbing and public humiliation were "daily routine".

"Those who didn't follow the rules were punished with repression and marginalisation" which included the withdrawal of roles and contracts, they said.

A spokesman for Austrian singer Elisabeth Kulman, who helped publish the letter, could not say when exactly the harassment allegedly took place.

Kuhn's lawyer Michael Krueger, a former justice minister, said the director may sue the women over what he called a "manhunt".

Kuhn is already being investigated over sexual harassment, according to a public prosecution spokesman.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 27, 2018, with the headline 'Artists accuse festival director of sexual harassment'. Print Edition | Subscribe