On Facebook

Should the SAF hold more talks and activities to orientate young men who are enlisting and their family members? Will this help to improve soldiers' mental health?

Teens seldom listen to family members. Let them learn from school projects, camp visits, the Individual Physical Proficiency Test and training in camp.

Jack Yeo

NS has a lot of relevance to working life. NS builds character, teaches one to triumph over adversity and hones one's people skills.

Abdul Malik Mohammed Ghazali

Training must be tough but safe. Too much welfare for our soldiers will weaken the SAF.

Talk to the soldiers who did their national service in the 80s and before; they went through much tougher training and they are stronger physically and mentally today.

JZ Cai

While giving information is good, too much may end up being confusing or boring.

Anxiety, worry, unhappiness, anger and so on are all part of the NS journey, so one way to grow up to be a man is to deal with it.

Mohamad Syahid Bin Arif

Why do Singaporeans prefer foreign goods rather than local ones? How can businesses better promote made-in-Singapore brands?

I blame traditional thinking. Search visibility for Singapore brands and service is terrible. They need to get online and start doing business smarter.

Dare Chia

I doubt most would mind if something is produced locally as long as it's edible, tasty, well-made and reasonably priced.

Lynn Flint-Sung

Give rental credits or rebates for local brands to compete better with international brands.

Yuelin Chen

I would buy local... but what are the local brands?

Margaret Chong

Do you think having an app to track households' water consumption will be useful? What are some ways the public can save water?

Please spend money to educate people on water usage rather than on some fanciful app.

Turn off taps when not in use, use a basin or mug, collect rainwater for flushing, gardening and so on.

If I need to use clean water, I need it... I don't need an app to tell me how much I use.

Emily Leong

A smart company will sell small water meters to be installed at all water points in the house. This is so owners can pinpoint where the high usage is.

From there they can adjust their usage accordingly.

Decry Hardiyanto Bin Zaidi

Are town councils spending too much on non-essential items? Should billboards with paid ads be installed in lifts to help defray costs?

It would be an excellent idea to allow private entities to use one of the two notice boards at the lift lobby for advertisements and be charged on a quarterly basis.

The revenue generated can help defray escalating costs of essentials like water.

Paul Antony Fernandez

We shouldn't dictate how town councils spend their funds. What we see as non-essentials are subjective and may be beneficial for some residents...

However, town councils should innovate and look at more creative ways to provide notices to residents.

Wilkie Ong Keng Soon

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on February 28, 2017, with the headline On Facebook. Subscribe