SingPost and Trikomsel in joint venture to tap ecommerce opportunities in Indonesia

SINGAPORE - Mainboard-listed Singapore Post and Trikomsel Oke Tbk, a leading distributor and retailer of mobile phones in Indonesia, announced on Monday a partnership to tap on ecommerce opportunities in Indonesia.

Both companies have agreed to form a joint venture in Indonesia where Trikomsel will take a 67 per cent stake and SingPost, through its wholly-owned subsidiary SP eCommerce, will take the remaining 33 per cent stake.

SingPost said the partnership's strategic objective is to become the preferred go-to-market partner for brands and merchants looking to enter the growing Indonesian ecommerce market.

It will do so by providing turn-key omni-channel ecommerce and logistics solutions that can be customized for leading global companies and Indonesia's best-known brands alike.

SingPost said the partnership will combine its expertise in regional ecommerce and logistics operations with the strengths of Trikomsel's significant distribution network in Indonesia to provide a full suite of end-to-end B2C ecommerce solutions to businesses and a seamless shopping experience for online consumers.

Said Pak Sugiono Wiyono, president director of Trikomsel: "Amidst the rapid growth of ecommerce sales globally, especially in Indonesia, we are enthusiastic about our cooperation with SingPost to develop our ecommerce business in Indonesia."

"With solid expertise, technology and resources owned by both parties, we are optimistic that this cooperation will be able to meet and provide innovative, efficient and effective services to our customers across Indonesia, which in turn will provide benefits for both parties," he added.

Said SingPost's Group chief executive officer Dr Wolfgang Baier: "Indonesia is expected to become the third largest consumer base in the world, after China and India, and the seventh largest economy worldwide."

"As the regional enabler of ecommerce, it is crucial for us to find the right partners in emerging markets. Trikomsel has a broad retail distribution reach and will provide access to convenient pick-up locations across the country. Trikomsel in return can leverage our expertise in ecommerce logistics as well as our existing business platforms and initiatives to grow their business."

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.