A dispute at a Singapore-listed company's Chinese factory escalated yesterday when a group that included a Singaporean board member and its unit's chief executive were allegedly assaulted by associates of the firm's former executive director.
Five people were purportedly hit with plastic batons by attackers allegedly linked to former executive director Liu Ming.
Their injuries included broken bones, Shanghai Turbo said in an announcement on the Singapore Exchange website. It added that the incident was reported to local police and to the Singapore Consulate- General in Shanghai.
Two of the men said to have been assaulted were Mr Raymond Lim, independent non-executive director of Shanghai Turbo Enterprises, and Mr Zhang Rong, CEO of its Changzhou 3D Technological Complete Set Equipment subsidiary.
Mr Lim, 67, was with the Agri- Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore in 1970, and was later seconded to the Ministry of Defence to set up Singapore Food Industries.
The five people were trying to enter the Changzhou 3D factory, the scene of a protracted stand-off between new management and supporters of the old personnel.
Shanghai Turbo said on Monday that it was suing Mr Liu for "failing to deliver up the factory premises", which it had described in July as facing an "illegal occupation... by some of the former management personnel and their associates".
It also said a Singapore High Court has granted an injunction to freeze Mr Liu's Singapore assets.
Mr Liu, previously group CEO and executive director, was ousted at an April annual general meeting.
Shanghai Turbo announced a "temporary" stop to operations in June, which it said at the time was expected to last "about a month".
It has since said that "significant" losses and damages have been sustained, which are likely to take their toll on the company's performance in the 2017 financial year.
Shanghai Turbo closed down two cents, or 1.5 per cent, at $1.28, before news of the alleged attack.