Pakistan claims India will attack again soon

KARACHI • Pakistan has "reliable intelligence" that India will attack again this month, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said yesterday, even though tension over a February stand-off between the two nuclear-armed neighbours appeared to have eased.

The attack could take place between April 16 and 20, he said, adding that Pakistan had told the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council of its concerns.

A suicide car bombing by Pakistan-based militants in Indian-controlled Kashmir killed at least 40 Indian paramilitary police on Feb 14 and the risk of conflict rose dramatically on Feb 27, when India launched an air strike on what it said was a militant training base.

The following day Pakistan shot down an Indian fighter jet and captured its pilot, who was later freed.

"We have reliable intelligence that India is planning a new attack on Pakistan. As per our information, this could take place between April 16 and 20," Mr Qureshi told reporters in his home town of Multan.

He did not elaborate on what evidence Pakistan had or how he could be so specific with the timing, but he said Prime Minister Imran Khan had agreed to share the information with the country.

India's foreign office did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

 
 

Mr Khan blamed India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party for "whipping up war hysteria" over claims that India shot down a Pakistani F-16 during the February stand-off.

India said it had shot down a Pakistani aircraft and the air force displayed pieces of a missile that it said had been fired by a Pakistani F-16 before it went down.

The success of Indian air strikes on a camp of the Jaish-e-Mohammed militant group in north-western Pakistan has also been thrown into doubt after satellite images showed little sign of damage.

Pakistan closed its airspace amid the stand-off, but most commercial air traffic has since resumed and major airports have opened.

As a sign of apparently easing tensions, Pakistan said last Friday that it would release 360 Indian prisoners this month.

The first hundred were released yesterday.

Due to rocky relations, prisoners who have completed their jail terms, many of them fishermen convicted of straying into each other's territory, often languish in jails for months, if not years, afterwards.

"These are 100 Indian fishermen released from jail as a goodwill gesture by Pakistan," Mr Saad Edhi, an official with Pakistan's largest charity, the Edhi Foundation, said at Karachi's Cantonment railway station yesterday.

"They are going to Lahore from where they will be released into India across the Wagah border crossing."

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 08, 2019, with the headline 'Pakistan claims India will attack again soon'. Print Edition | Subscribe