KABUL (AFP) - At least six foreigners were killed in a Taleban attack on a Kabul gueshouse that trapped dozens of people attending a concert and triggered an hours-long stand-off with Afghan security forces, officials said on Thursday.
Four Indians, an American and an Italian were killed in the overnight siege on the Park Palace, which was about to host a performance by a well-known Afghan singer.
The Taleban claimed responsibility for the seven-hour assault, which triggered explosions and bursts of gunfire. It comes as Afghan forces face their first fighting season against the insurgents without the full support of US-led foreign combat troops.
Kabul police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi earlier said five people including foreigners and Afghans were killed in the attack, and at least five others wounded, but deaths confirmed by foreign governments saw the toll rise above that figure.
"Fifty-four people were rescued by security forces," Mr Rahimi added after a large number of armed personnel swooped on the guesthouse, located in an up-market district and popular with international aid agency workers.
An Indian foreign ministry official said said that "unfortunately four Indians have died in the attack as per the information we have so far".
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had spoken with Aghan President Ashraf Ghani to offer his condolences, saying "we are one when it comes to fighting terror".
US embassy spokesman Monica Cummings said: "Our thoughts are with the families of the victims at this time. Out of respect for the families of those killed, we have no further information at this time."
The Taleban, which has stepped up attacks on government and foreign targets, said in a statement that the attack was carried out by a single gunman and "planned carefully to target the party in which important people and Americans were attending".
Afghan police gave conflicting accounts of how many gunmen were involved.
"So far we have identified one attacker, but we are looking to see if there were more. We are trying to find out the circumstances in which the attack took place. We need more investigation," Mr Rahimi said.
The Park Palace was due to host a concert by classical singer Altaf Hussain, with several VIPs invited, when the gunfire started, a guesthouse employee told AFP.
The employee, who did not wish to be named, said he barricaded himself in a room in the building when the shootout began and heard several people screaming in the corridors as gunshots rang out.
He later managed to flee the guesthouse and said he saw at least five blood-covered bodies lying near the entrance.
Police could be seen surrounding the guesthouse on Thursday, blocking access to the building.
Inside, doors were smashed along with tables and windows, while blood stained the floors, according to the employee. Other tables prepared for the concert in the front yard still had refreshments laid out.
The attack comes a day after a visit to Kabul by Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, who assured Afghanistan of Islamabad's full support in its battle against the Taleban, saying "the enemies of Afghanistan cannot be the friends of Pakistan".
His unusually strong remarks are the latest sign of a thaw in the once-frosty relationship between the two countries. Afghan officials have frequently accused longtime nemesis Pakistan of harbouring and nurturing Taleban insurgents.
But Mr Ghani has actively courted Pakistan since coming to power in what observers say is a calculated gambit to pressure the insurgents to come to the negotiating table.
Taleban insurgents, who have waged a 13-year war to topple the US-backed government, launched their spring offensive across Afghanistan late last month, stepping up attacks on government and foreign targets.
The militants have staged a string of attacks on compounds, restaurants and guesthouses frequented by foreigners, including two separate assaults in Kabul last November, one of which left a South African man and his two teenage children dead.
They also launched a major attack on a compound of the International Organization for Migration in 2013.
Their targets last year included the capital's most prestigious hotel, the Serena. In March 2014 four gunmen evaded security checks and opened fire there, leaving nine people dead including AFP reporter Sardar Ahmad, his wife and two of their children.
Afghan forces are now solely responsible for security in the volatile country, after Nato's combat mission formally ended in December with a small follow-up force staying on to train and support local personnel.